Step 1: Contact Us

If you are not satisfied with our level of service, or the outcome of your claim, please contact the employee or representative who served you. The employee’s contact information can be found on the documents you received.

Prior to contacting us, gather the following:

  1. All of the relevant documents;
  2. The name(s) of the employee(s) involved;
  3. The reason for your dissatisfaction;
  4. The questions you would like to ask; and
  5. The case you would like to present and the solution you are seeking.

Decide how you will contact us:

By telephone:

If you choose to contact the employee or representative by phone, we ask that you call us to set up an appointment. This will allow the employee to review your file and set aside the necessary time.

In writing:

If you choose to write to us, be sure to include a detailed explanation of your complaint and photocopies of your documents. Please do not send originals.

When communicating with the company, be sure to:

  1. State the reason for your complaint and ask questions or raise any concerns you may have;
  2. Take note of the name of the person you are speaking with, keep a record of your conversation and copies of all correspondence; and
  3. Allow adequate time for a response to your complaint; if the employee or representative does not provide you with a satisfactory outcome, request to speak with the manager in that department.

Step 2: Filing a formal complaint

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may address your complaint to: Complaints Officer/Ombudsman, Old Republic Insurance Company of Canada, Box 557, Hamilton, ON L8N 3K9 (opens in a new window), Fax: 1-866-551-1702

When communicating with the Complaints Officer/Ombudsman:

  1. We ask that you make your complaint to us in writing. At the top of your letter write the word “Complaint”;
  2. Provide your contact information;
  3. Describe the reason for your complaint, the steps you have already taken, and the response you have received; and
  4. Present your case and describe your desired outcome.

The Complaints Officer/Ombudsman will conduct a review and ensure that the company’s decision and reasons are communicated to you in writing. The response will also notify you of your right to have your complaint reviewed by an independent third party.

Step 3: Contact the independent complaint resolution and information service for consumers referred to in our company’s final position letter

If our company is unable to resolve your complaint or has not responded to you outlining our final position in a timely manner, you have the right to have your complaint reviewed by the independent dispute resolution service provided by the OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance (OLHI).

OLHI is a national independent complaint resolution and information service for consumers of Canadian life and health insurance products and services. OLHI’s services are available if you are a consumer of a Canadian life and health insurance product or service and your insurance company is an OLHI member. Old Republic Insurance Company of Canada is a member of OLHI.

An experienced OLHI counsellor will review your matter from an independent perspective to collect all relevant facts and information and to advise you how best to deal with your complaint. You will be advised about the process and what to expect. All unresolved complaints will be reviewed and a response provided in all cases. You can expect to have your complaint dealt with in a fair and impartial manner.

  • Please ensure you include the insurance company’s letter and all documentation relating to your complaint. This will assist the OLHI counsellor in reviewing your complaint.
  • If you are writing on behalf of someone else, include a note signed by that person authorizing you to act for him or her. When it is not possible to obtain an authorization, explain the circumstance in writing.

To learn more about the complaint services of the OLHI visit (opens new window)


Regulatory bodies and other resources

There are a number of resources available to consumers. Depending on the nature of your complaint you may wish to contact government regulators at the provincial or federal level.

Autorité des marches financiers

The Autorité des marches financiers (AMF) is the body mandated by the Québec government to regulate Québec’s financial markets and assist consumers of financial products and services.

If you are not satisfied with our company position and the outcome of the OLHI review, and wish to pursue the matter further, you may choose to have your complaint file transferred to The Autorité des marches financiers (AMF). You can contact the AMF, by calling toll free, 1-877-525-0337 on their website at, by e-mail to: or in writing to:

Autorité des marches financiers
Place de la cité, Tour Cominar
2640 boulevard Laurier, 3e étage
Sainte-Foy, Québec G1V 5C1 (opens new window)


Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC)

The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) supervises federally regulated financial institutions. For example, financial institutions are required by law to provide consumers with information about complaint-handling procedures.

Concerns about our complaint-handling procedure or a specific consumer provision, can be directed to the FCAC, toll-free, 1-866-461-3222, on their website at (opens new window) or in writing to:

Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
427 Laurier Avenue West 6th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B9 (opens new window)